A Tax Guide for Independent NDIS Support Workers

Share This Post

Navigating the tax landscape as an independent Support Worker can be straightforward with the right approach. This tax guide provides essential steps to establish a solid foundation for tax management, superannuation decisions, and understanding potential tax deductions to reduce assessable income.

Important Note: The information provided is general advice. It is crucial to conduct individual research based on your unique situation.

FAQs for Self-Employed Support Worker Tax

  1. Do I have to pay taxes?
  • Yes, taxes are a mandatory obligation.
  • Do I need to contribute to my Super?
  • Contribution to Super is a personal choice. While not mandatory, many Support Workers choose to contribute and may benefit from Government Co-Contributions.
  • Am I eligible for tax deductions?
  • Yes, Australian taxpayers may qualify for specific tax deductions.
  • Do I have to register for GST and BAS?
  • Generally, no. However, if earning over $75k, ABN registration for GST is required. Note that NDIS supports and services are typically exempt from GST.
  • Do I need to submit a tax return?
  • Yes, it is typically necessary. Streamlined methods for submission will be discussed below.

Getting Started

Support Workers operate as Sole Traders, meaning they work for themselves. To set up taxes:

  1. Apply for your ABN:
  • Obtain your ABN from the Australian Business Register online for free. Beware of websites charging for this service.
  • Consider setting up 2 bank accounts:
  • Separate personal and business expenses to facilitate tax management.
  • Estimate your “Tax Savings Percentage”:
  • Determine the percentage of earnings to set aside for taxes using tools like the Pay Calculator or ask us.
  • Make a Choice about Superannuation:
  • Decide whether to contribute to Super and if so, how much and when.
  • Super Co-Contributions for Support Workers:
  • Explore potential government Co-Contributions to boost retirement savings.
  • When to Transfer Contributions to Your Super:
  • Consider making regular contributions to capitalize on potential investment growth.

Support Worker Tax Deductions

To maximize tax deductions, be aware of eligible expenses:

  1. Self-Education for Support Workers:
  • Claim costs related to training and courses directly relevant to your work.
  • Car Expenses for Support Workers:
  • Deduct travel expenses between work locations using either the logbook or ‘cents-per-kilometre’ method. However, you cannot claim the trip to your first job for the day and home from your last. Even if you have only one job for the day.
  • Other Travel Expenses for Support Workers:
  • Claim public transport expenses related to work-related travel, but not to your first or from your last client of the day.
  • Consumables for Support Workers:
  • Deduct expenses for materials and personal protective equipment related to client activities.
  • Laptop, Phone, and Internet Costs for Support Workers:
  • Claim costs for business use of technology devices.
  • Other Support Worker Tax Deductions:
  • Explore additional deductions, including work-related books, checks, donations, and expenses for tax professionals.

Your Support Worker Tax Return

As an independent Support Worker, tax isn’t automatically withheld. To avoid surprises:

  1. Know and Save Your Tax Savings Percentage:
  • Set aside funds in a separate account to cover tax obligations.
  • Submit Your Annual Tax Return:
  • Complete and submit your tax return by the deadline (normally October 31st) to determine your income tax liability.
  • Important Note:
  • The provided information is general and not personalized advice. Consult an Accountant for professional advice tailored to your specific circumstances.

Support Worker Tax Checklist:

☐ Research and consider your situation
☐ Obtain your ABN for free
☐ Set up 2 bank accounts, including one for tax savings
☐ Estimate your tax savings percentage
☐ Make a choice about superannuation
☐ Track and understand your tax deductions
☐ Submit your annual tax return on time

Managing taxes for Support Workers can be straightforward with the right approach. Feel free to share this guide with your colleagues and friends.

How Can We Help? Contact Accountants 2 Business for a free meeting to discuss your tax affairs at (07) 38232344.

Top of Form

More To Explore